Friday, March 31, 2006

Last call for lunchtime

Okay, for the last day of the month I decided to toss out one last version of the lunchtime game. There are either two or three musicians to choose from and you pick the one that you would most want to have lunch with. The living are as they are today and the deceased are as they a few months prior to their deaths. The first four match-ups are more challenging because they are people who are generally associated with the same band.

1)Izzy Stradlin or Duff McKagan
2)Brian Johnson or Malcolm Young
3)Mick Mars or Tommy Lee
4)Kirk Hammett or Jason Newsted
5)Scott Ian or Tom Araya
6)Alex Lifeson or Joe Perry
7)Eric Carr or Phil Lynott
8)Alex Van Halen or Nicko Mcbrain
9)Geezer Butler of John Paul Jones

**Virtuoso triple threat** Joe Satriani or Yngwie Malmsteen or Steve Vai

**Inept triple threat** Peter Chriss or Bobby Dall or Steven Adler

**You name it lunch date** Pick any hard rock or metal musician to have lunch with, but it has to be someone who has not already been named in any of the three rounds of the game.

My answers:
1)Izzy, he was way underrated and Duff seems a little dim.
2) Malcolm because he is a good rhythm guitarist and he doesn't sing like a cat getting stepped on.
3) Tommy Lee is talented, but I don't think I could stand him so I'll take old Mick.
4) I always thought Kirk seems like a puppet for James and Lars. Newsted never got his due so I'll take him.
5) Scott Ian. He may not shut up, but he probably has more funny stories. 6) Alex Lifeson because he is a phenomenal player.
7) Tough one, but Phil Lynott.
8) Both great drummers, but I'll say Nicko. He seems like he would be cool and I have heard Alex is a butt.
9) Two of my favorite bass players of all time, but I have to go with Geezer.

VTT- Steve Vai, no contest.
ITT- I guess Steven Adler because he seems to have some good stories.
YNI-Rudy Schenker of the Scorps

So who do you pick?

8 Comments:

Blogger David Amulet said...

Picking ten one-by-one is too hard, so I'll just pick a few from your twenty: Malcolm Young, Eric Carr, and Scott Ian. All three are/were quite funny guys, so that would be a hilarious lunch.

I like Vai better, but I'd have to pick Satriani just to hear his stories about the other guitarists he's taught.

Bobby Dall would probably win the inept battle because he's funny, too.

My mystery pick would be Jon Schaffer of Iced Earth--he has a strong interest in history and an appreciation for his metal roots.

-- david

3:20 AM  
Blogger bob_vinyl said...

1)Izzy Stradlin. Duff was in the Fartz and I don't want that to spoil my lunch.
2)Malcolm Young. I'll take the second best guitarist for AC/DC over the third best singer (and yes, I know there were only two singers, that's my point)
3)Mick Mars. But not by a lot.
4)Jason Newstead. he's as bitter about Metallica as I am.
5)Scott Ian. Slayer had their musical moment of greatness, but subject-wise, they're just stupid.
6)Joe Perry. Alex Liefson might try to throw me down a flight of stairs.
7)Phil Lynott. Why would I want to meet Eric Carr? He was a little too good for Kiss, but he's not an outstanding musician and he didn't write. He was just a warm body behind the drums.
8)Nicko Mcbrain. I'll always pick Maiden over VH.
9)John Paul Jones. Tough call, but Zeppelin had perhaps the best rhythm section ever in rock.

**Virtuoso triple threat** Steve Vai. Why would I pick great technicians that were terrible musicians rather than someone who cut his teeth with Zappa?

**Inept triple threat** Peter Chriss. Just because I have a complete lack of interest in the others.
**You name it lunch date**
I don't really want to have lunch with any of these people. I probably wouldn't even cross the street to meet any of them. I like some of their music, but that doesn't make me want to actually meet any of them. The worst thing is when you add "star" to the end of "rock."

8:30 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

Well said, Bob, well said. A friendly lunch that has natural conversatino would be one thing ... but actually working to make it happen would be like celebrity stalking. Yuck.

-- david

9:32 AM  
Blogger Jay Noel said...

I'm not too familiar with several of these guys...

My picks would be Izzy, Tommy Lee, Eric Carr, Joe Satriani, and Peter Chriss.

9:50 AM  
Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

1) Izzy: I just like the name. It has a nice sound to it.
2) Brian Johnson: So we could sit around and bitch about the haters.
3) Tommy Lee: So we could sit around and bs about Pamela.
4) Jason Newsted: Kirk doesn't seem to have a whole lot of personality.
5) Scott Ian: I really don't know why.
6) Joe Perry: I respect him.
7) Eric Carr: You saw that one coming.
8) Alex: Just to see if he is as big a butthead as they say.
9) Geezer: Another cool name
VTT: Steve Vai: He is brilliant.
ITT: Peter Chriss: Another one you probably saw coming.
My choice: Sully from Godsmack. We could talk about Wicca and sword collections.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

I would probably have lunch with most any of them provided I don't have to pay for anything. I could put up with almost anyone for an hour and a free meal.

I would want to meet Phil Lynott mainly so I could find out if he just made up lyrics as he sang. Like on Dancing in the moonlight there's a line that goes "I always get chocolate stains on my pants". Surely he didn't sit down and write that ahead of time.

12:09 PM  
Blogger UnHoly Diver said...

1)Izzy Stradlin
2)Brian Johnson
3)neither one
4)Jason Newsted
5)Scott Ian
6)Alex Lifeson
7)Eric Carr
8)Nicko Mcbrain
9)John Paul Jones

Joe Satriani
Peter Criss

Henry Rollins

1:32 PM  
Blogger BeckEye said...

1)Duff - he's hot

2)Malcolm Young - not a huge AC/DC fan at all, but Malcolm seems like a decent guy. Brian Johnson seems like one too, but I hate his voice.

3)Tommy Lee - Mick Mars scares me. Tommy has to have some great stories.

4)Jason Newsted - Love the bassists. But anyone but Lars, actually!

5)Scott Ian - simply because I know virtually nothing about this band so I don't know who the other guy is. I think I would just stare at Scott's ginormous goatee the entire time.

6)Joe Perry - There's something very magnetic about him.

7)Eric Carr - Seemed like a nice guy.

8)Alex Van Halen - I don't think I've ever heard him utter a word. He's a complete mystery.

9)John Paul Jones - HUGE Zep fan here.

**Virtuoso triple threat** Hmm...maybe Yngwie. Just because I like to say his name. And he's pretty awesome.

**Inept triple threat** Bobby Dall...again, for the chick reason that he's hot. He used to be scrawny and nasty and now he's all beefed up.

**You name it lunch date** Robert Plant. Because I can do a kick-ass impression of him and I think he'd enjoy it. And he is the singer by which all other metal singers will be judged!

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home