Saturday, September 09, 2006

David Lee Roth-Eat 'em and smile, 1986

Background-Diamond Dave parted ways with his old outfit Van Halen in 1985, but he wasted no time in recruiting a supergroup of sorts. In his band were former Zappa and Alcatraz guitarist Steve Vai, former Talas bass player Billy Sheehan and drummer Greg Bissonette. In the summer of 1986 he released Eat 'em and smile.
I first this the week it came out and I liked it. I have not heard in at least two years.


Review
Yankee Rose-The opener and first single manages to be stylish without being overdone. It heads and straight on and gets your attention right away. Very big and in your face which works for Dave.


Shyboy-I used to love this song, but now it seems a little repetitive and overlong. It's still good, but certainly not special and not as good as this band is capable of.

I'm Easy-Not all hard rock fans are going to like this swing kind of song. Yet this is very much Dave's kind of thing and it works.

Ladies nite in Buffalo?-I like the bass line and Dave sounds smooth. Yet it immediately sounds slightly dated and it overstays it's welcome just a little.

Tobacco Road-A good song choice for Dave and his band. It's a very tight version and really memorable.

Elephant Gun-Another fast song, but it's far stronger than Shyboy. It has that Diamond Dave sense of humor to it. A good change of pace at this point in the album.

Big Trouble-Before playing the album, I was looking at the sleeve and could not remember this song. Now I know why as it is very average and feels like a real filler track.

Bump and Grind-A mid-tempo song with a nice sharp sound at first. It's good, but not real memorable. Doesn't really do a whole lot after the first minute or so.

That's Life- Like I'm easy this may not appeal to hard rock fans, but it's a good choice for Dave as it's very much his style. The band sounds sharp and it's a fine closer.


Verdict/Final word-I think it's still good, but not as good as I thought it was back then. It's a bit dated and simplistic at times. I think Steve Vai is a little restrained and doesn't show enough of his true playing style. I think Dave chose songs he was comfortable with and that comes across. It's not as good as any of the first six Van Halen albums. Yet in 1986 the score read Roth-1 Van Halen-0 because this album is better than 5150.

****Next month's 20 year old album review will be King Diamond's Fatal Portrait.

***Next month's twenty year old album review will be King Diamond's Fatal Portrait.

4 Comments:

Blogger On My Watch said...

nice review.

I never minded the swing style because I have an appreciation for that as well, but what I did find slightly irritating was when guitars try to "talk" - never could understand that whole thing and they're not the only ones who did that type of thing.

5:49 AM  
Blogger :P fuzzbox said...

I really liked this album a lot but I really have to wonder at the stuff he is doing right now.

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When Diamond Dave went solo with Crazy From The Heat, I was disappointed. When I heard 'Yankee Rose', I knew which side of the Van Halen fence to be on. Dave's "yard" has always been about fun, the guy is a pure Rock showman.

I like all of Dave's solo releases except the 1st E.P and Your Filthy Little Mouth. DLR Band is pretty good and I enjoyed the Diamond Dave album because it was way out there and Dave did what no one expected.

11:16 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

I think it's hald up pretty well over time, although I'll admit I don't listen to anything after "Elephant Gun."

I agree with you that it was better than than it seems now ...

-- david

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home