Saturday, January 19, 2008

Airbourne-Runnin' Wild

Photobucket
Roadrunner
2008



This release actually came out in Australia and New Zealand through EMI back in the summer, but it is being released here this month by Roadrunner. Melbourne based four piece Airbourne are initially going to have you stuck on one thought and that's the fact that they sound a whole lot like AC/DC, probably prime “Powerage” and “Highway to Hell” era. These guys bring a lot of energy and a full throttle approach to the classic three chord rockers. There is very little fooling around and they launch right into most of their songs. They also don’t overstay their welcome either as we get eleven tracks, but with a running time of just a little over 37 minutes. Tracks like “What’s Eatin’ You”, “Diamond in the Rough” and “Let’s Ride” are just a few of the instantly memorable tracks on this release. This band was receiving a huge amount of hype months before it was released here so much so that I think it is going to recieve a huge response. Although a good album, I am still left wondering how much credit should they get for being so much like another band? Maybe I am overcomplicating matters, but I am a little hesitant to give give too much credit to an album that does not bring any new ideas. It's a good album and I love the energy, but they are going to have to eventually bring some more if they want to carve a niche for themselves.



http://www.myspace.com/airbourne

3 Comments:

Blogger Hard Rock Hideout said...

I have to agree that Airbourne gets zero points for originality, but good rock is good rock, and Runnin' Wild is a good CD. I have been listening to the the Australian release for months now. The fact that I haven't tired of listening to this disc, says something about the strength of the songs on this record.

Once this starts to get airplay on U.S. Radio, this disc is going to take off.

Rob Rockitt
Hard Rock Hideout

12:50 PM  
Blogger Metal Mark said...

Rob-I agree that it will take off. They have gotten a huge push from their labels. I just don't want to give too much credit for something that's not that original or creative. However it does rock and that goes a long ways.

12:57 PM  
Blogger RudoReels said...

I truly feel that this album satisfies any needs left unfilled by AC/DC's latest attempt, "Black Ice."

I call it an attempt, because despite high sales, in my eyes it was nothing more than a failed attempt at putting out a good rock album. I'm a long-time AC/DC fan, and I don't care much that Airbourne can be considered an 'AC/DC rip-off.'

I totally agree about wondering if they deserve credit for using the same formula AC/DC, but as far as just popping in a CD and listening to it goes, Airbourne has forcefully taken the torch out of AC/DC's grasp.

Just my two cents on it. Original or not, Runnin' Wild was a far better album for what it was, in comparison to Black Ice. It's a shame it didn't sell more.

Maybe when Airborne has a huge fanbase they can get behind the Wal-Mart monster and release four 'different' versions of the same album to pad their sales for collectors. :)

(If you hadn't guessed, I *REALLY* hated Black Ice.) hehe

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home