Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Supergroup?

Photobucket

I was going to write on 1980's albums that I underrated today, but I decided to save that to do as a list after I finish my top guitarist countdown. With the release of Chickensh...I mean Chickenfoot this week I was forced to hear the "S" word. "S" as in supergroup. I have written on this topic before, but this new release had me thinking about it again. Now, I have not heard Chickenfoot and will not be buying it largely because there is no one involved with the project that I am very fond of. I have read some positive reviews on it though. Anyways the media and PR people seem to love to slap the above term on a project that involves a couple of guys who have been involved in names before. Much like reunion albums supergroups tend to be more miss than hit in my opinion. There tends to be a lot of hype around these projects as expectations tend to be that the quantity of name players will mean quality music. That doesn't seem to happen very often or at least not often enough. Why is this? A number of times you get guys who are past their prime who join forces thinking that several hasbeens can sell more albums than just one hasbeen. I think Chickenfoot falls in that category. Other times you just guys that play it too safe. Damn Yankees come to mind on this one. That doesn't mean that there have not been good supergroups. Captain Beyond, Asia (debut album only), David Lee Roth's original line-up, Desperado and Mindfunk (debut) all come to mind as supergroups that worked to some extent. Although none of those are very recent examples.

Feel free to share your views on supergroups.

I'll have a supergroup Lesser of two evils out at some point in the near future.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've hard 2 songs. It's terrible.

4:05 AM  
Anonymous JB said...

I'm a big Hagar fan so my opinion doesn't count for much, but I picked up this album and enjoyed it. More of something to listen to in the car for background noise. Definately not metal, but good in its own right.

10:46 AM  
Blogger bob_vinyl said...

Chickenfoot = super-sorta-okay-but-really-dumb + super-what's-he-doing-in-a-hard-rock-band + super-mediocre + super-wanker. It should be pretty easy to figure out who's who.

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home