Thursday, August 13, 2009

Freestone-The Temple of Humanity:The music of Freemasonry

Photobucket
PINK
2009



I remember being a kid and seeing the symbol for Freemasonry and wondering what it was. I don't recall if I ever asked my dad what is was or not. If I did then I don't think he gave me a great answer because I still didn't understand it. Apparently other people were interested in it as well because here we get a disc all about Freemasonry. Personally this is one topic that wouldn't have struck me as a likely topic for a whole album, but indeed it is done in an intriguing manner on this disc. This band pulls from elements of smooth melodic pop, progressive passages and even some hard rock at times. The seamless blend of styles helps to give the music a definite texture. Despite being somewhat mellow, there is still definitely an element of surprise here. There were several moments where they went in directions I wasn't expected and and it almost always added to what they were trying to accomplish. The lyrics are simple, but they approach the topic from different angles. They help to define what Freemasonry is and shed the spotlight a little on it's history, but they still keep alive some mystical elements that I think have always surrounded this topic. I certainly wouldn't presume or pretend that this was a small undertaking. However, I am certain that Freestone have succeeded in creating an album that is consistently interesting and well-crafted.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The music aside, the Freemasonic reference is genuine and written by a member of the Craft. The album is a credit to its' genre and to Freemasonry.

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home