Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Skull Hammer-Pay it in blood

Photobucket
Self-produced
2010



Back in the 80's I went through a time where I listened to every thrash band whose album, CD or cassette landed in my greedy hands. Okay, I still listen to thrash but times have changed and not every thrash band appeals to me now. Something about Skull Hammer right away takes me back to 1987. I mean that in a positive way. The lyrics are typical and the vocals are somewhat limited, but the spirit behind the music and the way they bring a surplus of smashing riffs is what got me hooked. Now I enjoyed their "Fear the truth" EP when it came out two years ago. Since then they have changed 2/3 of the line-up, but they are even stronger now. The direction of the new album is heavier, the production is more consistent and this band is now playing at an impressive level. They remind me of a mix say At War, Forbidden, late 80's DRI with a touch of NWOBHM thrown in. They take some real steps on this album to lay down the foundations for their own sound too. In recent years I have heard all too many current thrash bands who go through the motions and just lack the soul needed to make this style work. Skull Hammer had some of that sound on their EP, but they have really brought their passion to the surface on this album. Tracks like "The gladiator", "Born Evil" and the ear drum busting "Convicted by conviction" are just a few examples of this band's ability to shred and create memorable songs at the same time. This is must for fans of old style thrash.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright... you made me into a Skull Hammer believer! I'm gonna get my Metal hands on "Pay It In Blood" and it will serve me right.

The album cover artwork is really cool too.

Stone

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home